John L Scott Property Management

Search More

Our News Blog

Oregon Veterans Home Rental Assistance

Posted on November 23, 2014 by admin in News

The federal government has been pushing to reduce the number of homeless veterans in Portland and elsewhere and new research is revealing details about those who receive rent subsidies. As of Oct. 1, 2014, it is estimated there are 316,626 veterans living in Oregon; the majority of which are between the ages of 65-84. Of those, one out of every two are elderly, and approximately 58,000 are homeless with 57% staying in an emergency shelter or transitional housing program; and the remaining 43% living on the street, in an abandoned building, or unsheltered someplace. The new research is showing that many of our nation’s vets may benefit from rent assistance.

A Nov. 10 report from the Washington, D.C.,-based Center on Budget and Policy Priorities concluded that rental assistance has played a central role in the 33 percent reduction in veterans’ homelessness between 2010 and 2014. The report adds that assistance reaches only a fraction of the veterans who need it. The Center said veterans in subsidized housing benefit mostly from four kinds of rent assistance: HUD/VASH vouchers, Section 8 housing, Housing Choice Vouchers or public housing. In those programs, they pay about 30 percent of their income for housing.

Emergency grants are available to Oregon veterans who are homeless

If you are a homeless veteran, you can receive support to get back on your feet. Contact VA’s National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838) to speak to a trained VA responder. Or visit the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs website at http://www.oregon.gov/odva/Pages/index.aspx.


2 comments

  1. I have call this number, Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838) to speak to a trained VA responder. The people they are referring me to are telling me my income is to high. but your website states you will help all vets.

    I am just say your web sites are missing leading.

    Who can I get help from to get and apartment while in chapter 13.

    • Hi Mr. Moore,
      Thank you for your comment. We’re sorry to hear you’re having trouble qualifying for the homeless veteran’s assistance program.

      We have no control over the qualifications but I called to inquire about your question myself and was told that you can contact your local veteran’s homeless coordinator and they may be able to help beyond the national help center’s phone number above.

      For Salem and surrounding areas the nearest veteran’s homeless coordinator is located at the Portland VA Medical Center located at 3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Rd, Portland, OR 97239.

      Their general inquiry phone number is listed as (503) 220-8262 but the person at the national office provided a direct line to the homeless coordinator at: (503) 808-1256.

      John L Scott Property Management supports our military and thanks you for your service. If there is misleading information on our website please let us know specifically where that is and we will rectify it ASAP.

      Thank you.

Leave A Comment